Wednesday, January 2, 2013

What to do?

December was  full.

Of concerts.

And pierced ears.

And tree decoration.

And special craft projects at school.

And shopping.

And well there's work.

And readying for the holidays.

And so much homework, I know that the Geneva convention on homework amnesty in December must surely have expired. Let's get Joe Biden on that one (after he sorts out the hockey strike).

And Husband's birthday which I always try to give the due it deserves since having your birthday 5 days before Christmas it is easy  to gloss over, compared to say someone with an April birthday.   (Though this year, I asked Husband to pretend his birthday was not on the 20th as I had to work late.  I told him it would be pretty cool to have his birthday on the last day the world is in existence and he went for it).

By the time school was done and I was done work, let's just say the house needed a little attention.

So Saturday morning, I declared a full-on work day and we feverishly vacuumed, dusted, organized and sorted clean laundry piles. The kids cleaned up their den. I sorted through piles of mail, and we accomplished a lot. Husband shopped for groceries, to keep us in provisions for the holidays.
Sunday brought church and a few more projects upstairs and we were looking good for the holiday.  Monday I made yams and felt giddy that the house was so clean for the holidays.

We enjoyed wonderful celebrations with both sides of the family and just the four of us.

And it was good. I felt blessed and happy. It was all worth it.  We had all earned a few days of rest and relaxation.
I did have a few tiny ideas about some things I might get done. I thought an hour a day, on some task or other we can never get to and we would really hit 2013 running.
So I thought I could:
  • take the dog on a long vigorous walk every day,
  • organize my closet,
  • tidy my side of the room,
  • clean out night table,
  • organize the office
  • clean under our bed,
  • organize the pantry,
  • mend some things on the large mending pile (after I collect things from all over the house that need mending and make pile)
  • organize the storage room,
  • organize the shelving in shop,
  • put all the games in the old book shelf,
  • clean the guest room (this one could take all of 2013, I wasn't even fooling myself.)
I guess I should have known I was setting myself up for failure. So I made a few tiny amendments to my list:
  • take the dog on a vigorous walk one day
  • pick up clothes from bedroom floor,
  • clean up night table,
  • pretend for 15 minutes to organize the office,
  • drink 5 cups coffee per day  (thanks Tassimo)
  • do puzzle (being careful to sort pieces by colour),
  • watch many movies,
  • watch 2 seasons of West Wing,
  • say every 10 minutes "isn't it great you guys don't have any homework???",
  • count blessings.
Ten out of ten.
Ready for 2013!

No comments: