Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Six Months

Six Months. Half a year. Two quarters. One hundred and eighty some days.

I have been trying to think of something deep and profound and meaningul to mark the 6 month anniversary of my mother's death.  But nothing is coming to me. I don't want to ignore it, so I will write about a few things she was good at:
  • She could wrap gifts like no one I know.  She taught me and I have passable skills, but she could wrap it tight, with crisp edges, straight lines and beautiful curled ribbons. And love. Presents were always wrapped with love.
  • Straightening papers.  My Mom worked at a book bindery at some point. This meant she would take an unruly heap of papers and get them stacked in perfect order. It was magical.
  • My Mom would keep her lip stick pointed. I thought of that the other day when I started a new one. She would use one side for one lip and the other and it would stay sharp like a pencil, which is no doubt what it is supposed to be.
  • My Mom had lovely, legible and uniform handwriting, like many women of her generation.  Sydney may be trying to resurrect this art as she writes in handwriting all the time and she has not yet learned it in school.
This is one of my favourite pictures of my Mom.
(Sorry Dad, I cropped you out)
It was Christmas 2006, 2 years before she was diagnosed with cancer,
and she looks so healthy. And beautiful.
Miss you Mom.

1 comment:

Cozy in Texas said...

What lovely memories.
Ann