Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Nooks and Crannies

In early June I posted the tribute I wrote about my Mom and read at her memorial service.  A friend, who lost her mother several years ago, posted this comment:
I do know that in the months and years to come, you are going to discover your mom in so many nooks and crannies of your life. Sometimes it will come as a surprise, but it is the greatest feeling when you realize there are places you will find her.
I didn't know what that meant exactly, but I did find it comforting.

About a month ago, Sydney and I were about to make cookies to bring to school for her birthday.  She loves to be involved in cooking. But for the most part, I measure everything out and she dumps it (mostly) into the bowl. As we were about to get started, I remembered how my Mom taught me to bake.  She taught me about the ingredients, how to measure, how to read a recipe, how to turn on the oven, how to tell if the cake was done.  She taught me it all.  

From about grade 5 or so I was making cookies on Saturday mornings to last through the lunches and after school snacks for the week that followed.  I remember making blueberry muffins and fortune cookies from the Nancy Dew cookbook.  I still enjoy baking but honestly never connected it to my early on-the-job training I received from my Mom.

And so I passed it on. I showed Sydney how to measure powders and liquids.  And we read the recipe together and I showed her how to use the Kitchenaid mixer without splaying ingredients all over the counter. (I had to learn that last one myself. The hard way.)

Most importantly, I talked about how Oma had taught me to cook. And how much we miss her. 

And now I know what my friend meant by nooks and crannies.

1 comment:

Beth said...

heather, that is so touching ... and so true ... thanks for sharing ...