Monday, September 5, 2011

The Myth of Summer Vacation

Every year I make the same mistake.  In June, I look at the calendar and note the "first day back to school".  This year it is September 6th.  All summer, I long for September 6th.  Oh, it is not all torture.  We enjoy some fun times, some holidays, some bike rides.

But in the back of my mind is September 6th. That is when the routine starts.  They kids are someone else's responsibility.  We will have made it through another summer.

Then somewhere around September 4th or 5th, it dawns on me:  the kids go to school for 30 minutes on September 6th.  I take the day off so I can take the back-to-school pictures.  So at approximately 9:10, the kids will be dismissed from the custody of the the Ministry of Education, and released into my care once again.

And given the fact that they have been in my sole custody all weekend; and the fact that it is 10:08 on September 5th and we have a breakfast embargo (because no one is willing to get the bread from the freezer in the basement, the one chore I ask of them regularly);  and we have a two hour drive ahead of us to pick up Husband from the airport (one hour each way); I am not sure how that is going to go.

No comments: