Friday, November 19, 2010

Making the World a Better Place

Jackson came to me one morning this week and said "Mommy, I have an idea."

I know by now that my 9 year old has two kinds of ideas:

1. Ideas to get his 7 year old sister to part with her accumulated allowance to buy him video games or gaming systems,

or

2.  A great idea for a new video game that will win him kudos from the grade 4 set and earn him millions of dollars. So he can buy video games or gaming systems.

I sighed.

Because if it is the former, I have to convey the idea that his sister's allowance is not his personal slush fund even if  "she thinks it's a great idea.  You're not listening Mommy.  She AGREED!!!"

If it's the latter I have the next 20 to 1000 minutes to listen in excruciating and endless detail of his brilliant idea for video game.  When I think he will finally be done, I'll say something supportive like  "That is very creative!"

And he'll say "Mommy, that's just the first level!" and will continue on talking about secret caves, and gargoyles that come to life.  He will interrupt himself only to ask  "Mommy, are you listening??" when I fail to absorb the creative genius in "having to repeat the level three times and every time it gets harder and the wizard doesn't want you to win".

Jackson knew by my sigh that I was expecting nothing fun from his unstated idea.

"Mommy, it's a way to make the world a better place."

It's all about the marketing plan. I asked him to go on.

"I think the government should print a lot more money."

"Really, and give the money to you?"  I said. I know my boy.

He was indignant.

"No. They should give the money to the poor countries that owe a lot of money and they could pay it off."

Oh.

"Don't you see, Mommy. All they have to do is print money and it would make the world a better place."

Umm.

"I want to email the government. To give them my idea."

And then he went on to repeat his idea 27 times, obviously proud of the difference he can make in the world. You know, through monetary policy.

Just then I thought he might actaully grow up to run his own social policy think tank, instead of being a professional video game tester.  I thought I'd help with his critical thinking and tried to recall the basics of all those economics courses I took in the eighties in university:

"If they print a lot more money, it devalues the currency.  So if you have $1000 in your bank account, it won't be able to buy as much as it used to."

"I know Mommy.  But since the money is being printed everyone will have lots. And I can go to Best Buy and get a Playstation 3 for like almost no money."

So much for running a think tank.

Jackson was adamant about sharing his idea.  I told him the Governor of the Bank of Canada is responsible for monetary policy.  His idea morphed over the course of a day, so by the time he had pestered Husband into using his email account, this was his pitch:

Dear Canadian Bank Handler,

You could make every one rich very easily just type in tons of nine’s and zero’s on peoples bank accounts and then everyone’s rich!

From Jackson

P.S

I’m only nine years old and I got a bit of the idea from my Dad. Please use my idea!

P.S.S. I know that prices will go up but it won’t matter because everyone will have the same amount of money.
 

No comments: