Thursday, July 8, 2010

Out

Me: Sydney, are you making friends at art camp, or are you too busy working on your projects.

Sydney: I'm making friends. I play with Mandy and Sophia.

Me: That's nice.

Sydney: Mommy, I have a new best friend, Mandy.

Me: From art camp?

Sydney: Yeah, she says she's crazy about me.

Me: That's nice.

Sydney: We decided we're going to be gay.

Me: [long pause] Pardon me?

Sydney: We decided we're going to be gay.

Me: Do you even know what being gay is?

Sydney: Yeah. It's like when a boy marries a girl except gay is a boy marrying a boy or a girl marrying a girl.

Me: Where did you learn that from?

Sydney: Jackson's DS game.

Me: Huh?

Sydney: One of the characters said something about being gay and I asked Jackson what it meant.

Me: And he told you?

Sydney: Yeah.

Me: So how did you and Mandy go about deciding to be gay?

Sydney:  Since she is crazy about me, I asked her if she wanted to be gay with me.

Me: What did she say?

Sydney: She asked what gay meant. So I told her.

Me: Huh?

Sydney: And then we agreed to be gay.

-----------------------------------------------------

I don't even know where to start with this.  We live in a startlingly homogeneous place.  While people of different backgrounds and races are well represented, families consist of a mom, a dad, two to three kids and a dog. We are anomalies even being canine-free.  Even single parent and blended families are infrequent.  We have never really talked about what it means to be gay.  Someone in our extended family is gay, but it still hasn't been a topic of dinner conversation.

So imagine my surprise to learn that both my children know what being gay is.

Even more astonishing is the fact that my daughter came 'out' at age six.

But what is really unbelievable is that she is recruiting.

No comments: