Monday, December 21, 2009

From the Mouth of the Girlie Goo

[cuddled up in bed on a rainy Monday morning]

Sydney: Mommy, can I ask you something?

Me: Anything.

Sydney: When I go to sleep there is a dot on my radio, you know the digital one. Then when I wake up, the dot has moved more upper.  Why does it move?

Me: That tells you a.m. or p.m. [further explanation of the a.m./p.m. clock]

Sydney: Can I ask you something else?

Me: Sure.

Sydney: When I was in your tummy, and Jackson was little, like crawling around on the floor, what time did he go to bed?

Me: I think about 9 o'clock at night. But he had a long nap in the afternoon.  When he stopped having a nap, he went to bed at 8 o'clock.

Sydney: And then when he went to preschool he went to bed later?

Me: No I think his bedtime stayed the same until about grade 1.

Sydney: What do babies eat?

Me: Well a special kind of milk.  Either from the mommy. Or something you buy at the store called formula.

Sydney: Could you put some in a bottle for me now?

Me: No, it's just for mommies with little babies. As long as the babies eat, the mommies can make more milk.

Sydney: Mommy, you know that stuff that is in your belly button?

Me: Lint?

Sydney: Yeah. Where does that come from?

Me: Um, I think it's just fluff that comes from your clothes.

Sydney: But that's not what babies eat??

Me: Oh, no when babies are in the tummy they have a kind of tube call an ambilical cord and it carries food to the baby.  But that's from the baby's belly button, not the Mommy's.

Sydney: Oh.

Me: Anymore questions?

Sydney: Do hear that noise?

Me: Yes, that's the furnace. It's heating the house.

Sydney: Do you hear that other noise? That banging one.

Me: That's Jackson downstairs destroying the house.

Sydney: We better go downstairs and stop him.

Me: I think you're right.

No comments: