Thursday, October 15, 2009

Me Time

It's elusive. But it's necessary. Every Mom needs some time to herself when she is not thinking about play dates, spelling practice and laundry.

On the Monday of the thanksgiving weekend, I told Husband I wanted to go to the mall. I desperately needed pants. If you ignore the fact that PANTS shopping is best done at any time OTHER THAN the day after indulging in a Thanksgiving feast, it was a good plan.

So a couple hours at the mall looking for pants was the plan.

Plus, I thought to myself, Sydney needs at least one more pair of pants for school. I did not buy many back to school clothes because in the past I noticed everything went on sale around thanksgiving.

Okay, then:

pants for me
pants for Sydney


Plus we need more DS Stylus because I am spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME looking for those puny little pens in couches and under tables.

Right.

pants for me
pants for Sydney
DS pens
(I don't know the plural of stylus so I'm going with pens, which is what the kids call them)

Oh and Sydney has a birthday party next weekend, I should get a gift.

Fine.

pants for me
pants for Sydney
DS pens
birthday gift

Husband reminded me that Jackson needs gloves that go up to his armpits but are not too big that they fall off. We have chronic snow-up-the-sleeves issues.

Recap:

pants for me
pants for Sydney
DS pens
birthday gift
gloves for Jackson

And I remembered that the Pastor from church asked us to bring a gift for a family new to Canada about to have a baby boy.

Maybe I should write this down:

pants for me
pants for Sydney
DS pens
birthday gift
gloves for Jackson
baby gift

I headed to the car before I could think of anything else. I got to the car and saw the collection of booster seats and remembered we need a new LOW booster seat.

Alrighty then:

pants for me
pants for Sydney
DS pens
birthday gift
gloves for Jackson
baby gift
new booster seat

I started the car and remember I have some PJs I bought Jackson that are too big and I needed to return. I run back into the house to retrieve them and miraculously find the receipt in the bag.
The final list:

pants for me
pants for Sydney
DS pens
birthday gift
gloves for Jackson
baby gift
new booster seat
return PJs

And off I went. I started at The Bay, a department store and looked for PJ's that would fit Jackson. I found none but thought I scored when I saw a fresh display of winter accoutrements including some possibly suitable gloves. They were $35. I absolutely could not imagine my reaction when Jackson comes home from school with one glove "YOU LOST A GLOVE??? THAT COST $17.50???"

I returned the PJs. (tick)

I then went to Children's Place and found a pair of cords for Sydney on sale (tick). I picked up a long sleeved shirt for Jackson because they were almost giving them away. He'll wear it in about grade 5.

I headed to Eddie Bauer and find they only have one style of pants in petite sizes (i.e. pants made for people under 5'4"). They fit perfectly but were on sale for $60. All in all not bad for good quality pants but I was hoping for a non black colour. I move on but make mental note. I may come back.

I swung through Please Mum but leave empty handed. I grabbed some DS pens at The Source (tick) and headed toward Old Navy where they disavowed all knowledge of either actually carrying any petite pants or even understanding what they are. "We have size zero!!" the clerk told me repeatedly.

I ran into H and M and SCORED. I saw pants in Jackson's size that looked like they might actually fit his skinny butt. Picked them up even though not on my list. I may be buying all his pants there in the future.

Finally I headed to my final stop Zellers. They have a lot of petite things and I thought I might get lucky. A LOT of polyester, rayon, and other fabrics ending with 'ester' that are definitely not natural and they look like they should be sold exclusively in gift shops in senior citizen homes, with apologies to all the trendy seniors out there.

I popped by the kids' department and found some mitts for Jackson, after debated with myself whether Jackson needs mitts or gloves (tick). I also checked for underwear for Jackson, on which there is apparently a trade embargo and as usual came up empty handed.

I picked up a booster seat (tick) and I was thinking I was done. But then I consulted my list and started looking for a baby gift and spent 20 minutes schlepping my bags, the car seat, the gloves around trying to decide what size and what items I would get for the baby. I finally made some decisions and then stumbled on a sale rack and changed my mind (tick).

Then I remembered the birthday gift and headed to the toy aisle and pick up a reasonably priced remote control car for Sydney's classmate (tick). By now, I am really doing a balancing act and a kind-hearted Zeller's employee assisted me in getting to the checkout.

I felt pretty good. A lot of things ticked off my list. My arms are burdened. And of course I realized that the one thing I don't have yet is pants! I resigned myself to the Eddie Bauer ones.

Then it dawns on me that I haven't checked the one place I always find clothes. Reitmans. I am, however, exhausted and just want to go home. Or to Starbucks for a pumpkin spice latte. With whip.

I persevered knowing I have only one pair of pants that I can wear to work this week. At Reitmans I found the one thing that gives me adreniline enough to drop my packages and start trying on clothes.

Pants in petite sizes.

On sale.

No comments: