Friday, October 2, 2009


Disequilibrium. That is the word that best describes our week. It wasn't chaotic or unmanageable or too terribly traumatic. Just a little off balance. Things weren't quite clicking.

We had a bit of a false start to our fall. We had 2 weeks back at school and in the thick of things for Husband and I and then we made a trip to the happiest place on earth.

We followed that up by the XX chromosomes in the family suffering colds and Husband making a trip out of town which coincided with a professional development day for the kids and a weekend. We all know how those pro d days go around here.

With Husband home, we spent Sunday getting ready for the surprise birthday party. So none of us were really ready for the week that was to come.

Monday went okay. I managed to get groceries (which is supposed to be my Friday job), do laundry and a few other home chores before school pick up and the dance class shuffle where I attempt to not let Jackson notice he has nothing to do for 45 minutes (my having forgotten his DS at home). This all went surprisingly well and I thought we were off to a good start to our week.

Tuesday, I headed back to work and received a phone call from Husband, who was on school drop off duty. The Girlie Goo, who is incredibly keen about being in grade 1, cried and screamed and did not want to go to school. The drama carried on right to her classroom. We are at a loss as to entirely why and it is likely a combination of things, including withdrawal from a lot of Mommy/Daddy time on vacation.

Jackson also seemed off on Tuesday evening, pitching a minor fit over something I cannot recollect. He is nothing if not consistent and did the same thing every evening after dinner.

I have not been getting up early enough in the mornings and that allows far too much drama in the get-your-jacket-and-shoes-where-is-your-backpack-can't-you-please-put-your-shoes-on-NOW scenario. I didn't have the pressing deadline at work but still have a large backlog and things weren't quite clicking the way they should.

Also on our list of things to do is get Jackson to study for his spelling test. He is not one to write out words and best handles this in small batches. So every time he's walk by I'd say "how do you spell learning?" and he'd give it his best shot. We broke out Aretha Franklin at one point as one of his words was respectful so we listened to a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Sydney seemed to recover from her Tuesday episode at school and was okay about going to school but mentioned a few things that were bothering her on and off and her stress did seem to be seeping out. We tried to accommodate with extra cuddles and reassurance.

But now it is Friday. Jackson managed to get ALL the spelling words correctly (why don't they send home stickers for the parents -- I feel we earned one this week). I made it to the gym for step class and then got groceries (again). The kids came home from school very happy and only wanting to cook their stuffies which they did and then cleaned up after themselves. And I made an actual dinner that included two vegetables and only a modest amount of calories. Husband and I enjoyed it with a glass of wine, even if we were interrupted by the play dough twins about 37 times. We can breathe a sigh of relief that the week is over.

Now, if we could just convince the kids that the week is over and get them to their beds, we could really exhale.

No comments: