Monday, August 17, 2009

Time is Relative

This morning Husband trudged off from our trailer golf clubs in hand for 18 holes of child-free time. He got up early so that my imprisonment quality time with my children would be briefer. Yesterday Jackson got up to use the bathroom at 5:15 which pretty much meant we all were awake from then on (it is a trailer).

I was surprised at 7:30 that I had not heard a peep. At 7:45 I heard the kids sweet little voices as they made their way out of their room. They made their way to the clock on the stove and I heard Jackson say "it's too early to get up" and Sydney reply "I'm going back to bed."

We do have very strict, completely unenforced rules about when to get up on weekends. The kids may get up at 7:00 a.m. Parents get up at 8:00. We don't need rules for school days as the kids will sleep to the last possible moment and then only dynamite or the threat of cessation of computer privileges will sever their skinny butts from their bedsheets. But even by weekend rules, the kids were entitled to be up.

I went to their room and Jackson was pretending to be sleeping. Sydney whispered "I know it's not time to get up but I'm not tired."

"You guys can get up if you want", I said.

Jackson woke up from his fake slumber "But Mommy, it's the hour before midnight. We're not allowed to get up." He was insistent.

We checked the oven clock together and the top light on the clock had burned overnight. So the 7 looked like at 1. So Jackson thought it was 1:45 a.m. Mr. Responsible, was right, acting on the information before him.

I couldn't be prouder.

No comments: