Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Natural Order

Well we are on vacation at the lake. It is good to be away from home and the to do list and piles of paper begging to be sorted. The homestead is in the good hands of a housesitter. Here we are, access to beach, pool, tennis court, playground and, surprisingly WiFi! I was so sure we'd be off the grid here in a glorified trailer, that I have a couple classic blogs that will repost this week.

So far, things are going pretty well, here are some highlights:
  • The kid love the pool and are tolerating my saying "anyone ready for the hot tub?" about 3 times a minute. Actually the pool is over 80 degrees so it is hardly torture but I do love me a nice soak in the hot tub.
  • The kids are making up new games to play on the tennis courts. Sydney has been playing "tennis soccer" which is hitting a big ball with a tennis racket. Jackson is playing "volleyball" which is kicking, hitting or throwing a large ball over the tennis net, the object is to get it as far away from one's opponent so as to make them run as much as possible. Jackson and I did a lot of running today. This game necessitates a lot of trash talk "have you played this before?" "you call that a kick?" and "is that all you got?" were frequently yelled.
  • Jackson is tolerating all the newness and lack of comforts of home. He did freak out when he couldn't find a game on the computer. He put his feelings on paper and handed me a note saying "YOU SUCK". I told him in no uncertain terms that he is not to use that language. I elicited an apology and secured his vow never to use that word again. When a trip to the pool did not happen the moment he desired it he wrote me a note saying "You still YOU KNOW WHAT!"
  • Sydney is doing fine and likes having so many parental cuddles. She did express to me that she was bored earlier and the ONLY thing that could cure her boredness was to watch me shave my legs. "Smooth legs are SOOOO awesome" she told me.
Today, Sydney and I make a trip to Walmart to pick up tennis balls that actually bounce and a couple other sundry items that neglected to find their way onto my lists. We did not think separating the bickersons for an hour or so would be a bad thing. Husband and Jackson stayed home to make up more games and perhaps explore the fastest route to the beach.

On the way back from the store, Sydney asked why it was just the two of us. I told her that we thought it was nice to have time with just one parent. Plus we thought it was okay that we separate the kids for a bit so they don't get on each other's nerves. I talked about being civil to each other (which they generally, are but when things go off the rails, it's spectacular) and being understanding when one of them needs a little space.

"But Mommy, you're going to disturb the natural order of brothers and sisters".

"What is that?"

"Well, Jackson is bigger than me, so he is in charge of me."

"Really, I didn't think you liked it when Jackson bosses you around."

"Mommy, it's the natural order."

"What about the parents? I thought they were in charge of the kids?"

"No. Their job is to protect the kids, not to be in charge of them."

"What happens if the parents are in charge the kids?"

"The natural order is disturbed."

"And what will happen?"

"All the kids will rampage."

"Oh."

"Mommy, there is also a natural order of parents."

"What is that about?"

"The parent that is bigger is in charge, so that means Daddy is in charge of you."

"But I'm older than Daddy, doesn't that mean I should be in charge of him?"

"Mommy, it goes by SIZE not AGE."

"Well I don't think Daddy is in charge of me."

"Well, if you want to disturb, the natural order..."

"I'll take my chances."

"I think I better stop talking about the natural order, I worried I'm going to confuse you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[later in the pool]

"Sydney ready for the hot tub?", I asked hopefully.

"No."

"It's the natural order of Mommies and daughters that whenever the Mommy wants, the daughter has to come to the hot tub."

"Huh??"

"You don't want all the Mommies to rampage, do you?"

No comments: