Friday, August 28, 2009

The End of Freedom

Our week at home is over. Husband is due back any minute with the kids. It's been a leisurely week in many ways. We did not accomplish any of my tongue-in-cheek goals.

We did some house organizing and cleaning. Husband has chipped away at some yard work and I knocked a few things off my to do list. We've both generally just enjoyed a quieter pace and we hope to do this again next year.

We did sneak in a couple good rounds of golf. "Good" is measured not by the score, but by the weather and the company.

I used to golf more (only badly) but I have not golfed much since the arrival of the J Boy which was also the arrival of minimal leisure time. Husband has been golfing since birth so he's enjoyed the occasional round with his or my golfing brother. I opted to spend my limited leisure minutes and dollars on massages and pedicures. Husband and I had a dollar for dollar trade. A pedicure is generally about the same as a round of golf so each round he had, I was entitled to a pedi or massage. We of course never kept track.

A couple years ago, I bought some new clubs with some special birthday money and I have been slowly trying to resurrect my game. The past couple summers we get out for the occasional pitch and putt or par 3. But I was dying to take a few swings with my new driver which is about the size of my daughter's head. And to finally conquer the new hybrid club that is supposed to be a good fairway club.

So we found a shorter course (par 32) with plenty of wide open spaces I could practice with my longer clubs. I did have the odd good shot but a lot more practice is required just to get my game back where it used to be -- mediocre.

Finally, I just wanted to point out my husband's vacation beard, the first in his life!

No comments: