Monday, June 8, 2009

Showtime!

Movies are kind of a big, deal, once a year thing. It's not entirely true that we can only afford to gone once a year. We could afford to go more often than that but we're just not organized enough. We thought of going to one at Christmas, but then we spent Christmas shoveling snow. I wanted to go see Hotel for Dogs in January, but one morning I woke up and it was April and Hotel for Dogs was available on DVD.

The first one we ever went to was Curious George. The kids found it too scary. The next year we tried Meet the Robinsons and that one traumatized J so much that he and I spent most of the time in the bathroom. J still can't watch it on DVD without running screaming from the room.

I think it was Cars that saw the kids running up and down the aisle before it was over. Between that, bathroom breaks, having to explain what was going on to 2 kids, it just wasn't the enjoyable experience that I thought it should be. We took a break for a while before we got into our once a year schedule.

I make it a point to see the Pixar movies and last year we saw a movie for J's birthday in the company of 7 other kids.

This past weekend, we saw UP, the new Pixar movie. As up can see, we forked out the extra bucks to see it in 3D.

I venture to say we all enjoyed it and it has plenty of layered meaning for grown-ups. Quite apart from enjoying the movie plot and characters, we had no fearfulness from the kids, no bathroom breaks, no spilled drinks, no requests for plot clarification, and importantly, no whining or complaining that we wouldn't be buying tokens for the arcade (what evil executive at Cineplex thought to put arcades in movie theatres?).

It was pretty near perfect. If you don't count the drive home.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

"I wanted to go see Hotel for Dogs in January, but one morning I woke up and it was April and Hotel for Dogs was available on DVD". LOVE this... that happens to me all the time. We had similar disasters with the movies you mentioned - Curious George seemed tame enough, but then my daughter had abandonment questions after the whole thing with George sent home in cage, etc. Thanks for the recommendation to see "Up" - several people have said its good.

Maybe I'll get someone else to drive my kids home, and then it will be a perfect day.

Konnie said...

I like the way you think ... get someone else to drive them home.