Friday, June 26, 2009

Diary of First Day of Vacation

8:05 a.m.: The kids are up and TV blasting cartoons in my head, which is still on my pillow.

8:25 a.m.: S comes into my room. "Can you get me something to eat?" I need one of those pellets that we give to the fish that they can eat off of for 3 days.

8:48 a.m.: J is in bathroom and S is pounding on the door wanting J to guess how far away she is "long, medium or short.?" He either can't hear her (don't know why as I'm sure the neighbours can) or is ignoring her, so she is yelling progressively louder and louder.

9:16 a.m: Wow, that was 28 minutes of quiet. S breaks the silence by screaming "DON'T HIT ME!!" I go to check on things and S throws a car at J. J, who is having a tenuous relationship with truthfulness lately, denies all wrongdoing. It's a reflex. Like a governor denying infidelity.

9:30 a.m.: J Boy refuses to get dressed. I don't press him as I am still in bedclothes (is that still a word?) First mention of the B word. He is bored. He made it a whole hour from when we usually leave the house for school.

9:55 a.m.: I ask the kids who wants to go the the mall and hear an enthusiastic "YES!!!". I ask who said that, wondering who inherited my love of shopping. They argue about who said that. J demands to know if I took a movie of it to prove HE said it.

10:16 a.m.: I pry myself off the computer. I have read every news site and they are all just talking about MJ. Kids are strangely quiet.

10:17 a.m.: Kids are making plans for houses. While I don't think having a roller coaster AND a toy store in a house is realistic, I bite my tongue. I set them up with snacks and go upstairs to get cleaned up and dressed.








11:00 a.m: I am ready to go. To the mall. For haircuts. J's hair resembles Kate's (Jon&Kate plus 8). It sticks straight up at the back. Not a good look on a 7.5 yr old.

11:40: Hair cuts are done. We leave $43 poorer (I declined to tip based on extortionist pricing) and just before J is permanently banned from "haircut store" for climbing on the car-haircutting chairs like they were monkey bars. Both kids choose a plastic pterodactyl as their prize.







11:45: Eating lunch at the food fair at the mall -- a huge treat. Really a good time for them to be playing games spinning with their pterodactyls because people are walking around with trays of onions rings and beef teriyaki plus gallon sized cups of Coke. I would grab them by the scruffs of their necks, but my hands are full with our tray of greasy food.

11:58 a.m.: I resist the urge to make a big deal over the fact that J is eating his noodles with his hands. "But the fork is sticky, so I don't want to get my hands sticky."

11:59 a.m.: J needs to wash his hands.

12:01 p.m.: we make trip to bathroom to wash hands. I cannot let J go into crowded boys bathroom without chaperon. He comes in with us girls.

12:05 p.m.: start mall-wide search for the coolest "rides". I have $5 in Loonies ($1 coins) to finance this endeavour.











12:35 p.m.: $5 is gone. Back to the car. NEVER have I had such a great trip to the mall. I tell them so.

12:36 p.m.: trip to the park is next. I give them options of picking a park they know, or my surprising them with a new one. They pick a new one.

1:01 p.m.: I should have picked a closer park but I have ulterior motive. J has been baulking (by "baulking", I mean being downright defiant, obstinate and loud about refusal to go to outdoor swimming lessons.) I take them to park hoping they'll see very cool pool which will make them plead to go to swimming lessons here.

1:02 p.m.: kids have a great time at park. J is befriended by a boy he's never met

1:25 p.m.: kids are ready to leave park but they want a turn on the swings, which are perpetually busy. I suggest swings at their school on the way home.

1:26 p.m.: I casually mention about outdoor pool (which I know is nearby but I can't see). J says angrily, "whenever it comes time to take swimming lessons outside, I QUIT!!!".

1:27 p.m.: Instead of reflexive moan to J about his tone, attitude and mode of communication, I say "a better way to say that is 'Mommy, I don't really want to take outside swimming lessons'. And I would say 'Really, why not?'. Then you would say ..."

1:28 p.m.: J responds "it's going to be too cold". That was easy.

1:45 p.m.: traffic is bad on the way home. I explain to kids it's because a garbage truck ran into a bridge a couple days ago and so ALL the traffic has to come onto one main street.

1:46 p.m.: detour to look at damaged bridge and to see if garbage truck is still there.

2:01 p.m: OOHing and AHing over damaged bridge.

2:11 p.m.: kids look longingly at train museum. S has been asking to go for a year and despite it being 10 minutes from our house, we have not made time.

2:12 p.m.: enter train museum.

2:13 p.m.: I remember why we don't take J to a lot of museums. He is very curious and want to touch everything. Fortunately, the museum is small and he is actually being very self-controlled.

2:59 p.m.: we leave the museum and head home. I float the idea of going to swings in evening with Daddy. School does not have bathrooms and I need one.

3:23 p.m.: we watch firetrucks race up the hill ahead of us and towards our subdivision.

3:28 p.m.: we hunt for firetrucks after ascertaining OUR house in not aflame.

3:35 p.m.: kids have snacks and mercifully watch cartoons.

3:55 p.m.: kids have more snacks. Still watching TV. I don't even feel guilty about it

5:10 p.m.: Husband is home! Wow, did the day ever go by fast.

5:45 p.m.: J Boy adds a little purple to his life.

6:30 p.m.: Celebratory Slurpee!

2 comments:

Ellie said...

WOW! What a successful first day of vacation! I love it when we have a busy morning, because then I don't feel that guilt in the afternoon when I plug 'em in to the TV to get stuff done (or not get stuff done, as the case may be).

I love the fact that the mall coins are called "Loonies". Must have been named by a stressed-out Mom losing her grip at the mall.

Great post!

P.S. - adorable pictures, too!

Konnie said...

Actually those are not just mall coins, they are the Canadian $1 coin, which has been around for I would say 20 years. It has a loon on it, hence the "loonie". The $2 coins are called "twoonies" (rhymes with loonies).

K.