Saturday, June 13, 2009

Activity Day

It's an annual tradition at elementary schools across the planet. The special day is sometimes called sports day, family day, fun day but the goal is to get the kids active, outside and hyped up on adrenalin.

When I was in elementary school, just after the dawn of time, we called it "track and field" day. I can still vividly remember my first (only??) ribbon earned on the footsie event. No, this is not the kind played under the table between consenting adults. For those not in my age bracket, this is a footsie. They have a current version of it, but this one is vintage. At age 6, I rocked on this particular apparatus.

Activity day is very unstructured at our school. No ribbons. It's more like a carnival where the kids can run from skipping to bowling to sack races at their own pace.

J decided that he could not wait to start activity day at 8:45, so he created some home events:

Activity 1: Who can get up the earliest? J had some stiff competition in Daddy who rises at 6 on work days. J was up to the challenge and turned on the TV at 5:45 (which you may recall blasts into our master bedroom.) Blue ribbon to the J Boy.

Activity 2: Non Talking Challenge. J, was a little frustrated that the updated browser Husband had installed was messing with one of the sites he frequents. So he decided this merited a marathon session of silence and note-writing. It started with "computer broken, dont toch[sic]" and culminated in "never trust Mommy". Mommy was definitely not non-talking so ceded to J in this event.

Activity 3: Parental Barricade. This seemingly difficult event requires a child to barricade his or her parent in one room. J used the excuse of my not obeying his notes to attempt the parental barricade. Fortunately for me, I was on the computer at the time with my morning cup of coffee - not exactly torture. But don't tell him that. I'm planning the next running of this event tonight so I can have an uninterrupted bubble bath.

Activity 4: I'm Not Taking My Medicine and You Can't Make Me. This is a frequent event in our home in allergy season. In years gone by Husband and I have won many medals by combining with the Doritos Bribery Challenge, and by Husband earning his Wrestling badge while I practice my accuracy for the Syringe Squirting event. With a whole day playing outside coinciding with dry weather and rising grass pollen counts, I am quite pleased to report I took the gold medal in this event and administered the pill and nasal steroid with sheer will, intransigence and more than a little of the "I mean business" Mommy voice.

With the preliminaries completed we went to school to enjoy the formal events:

THE GIRL HAS SOME MOVES

THE RING TOSS - THAT'S SOME TECHNIQUE

CONSCIENTIOUSLY LEARNING THE MACARENA

BOWLING WAS A FAVOURITE

A RARE INDOOR EVENT

A STRENGTH EVENT

WHO CAN RESIST THE APPEAL OF A PLAYGROUND!

ALLERGIES! IMAGINE HIM WITHOUT THE MEDS

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Great photos! Your kids are adorable!

Love the Doritos Bribery Challenge. We take allergy medicine here, too (not nasally - I can't imagine the contortions involved with that) - and its costing me a fortune in popsicles.

Konnie said...

Thanks Ellie. Popsicles is a good idea!

This year J has started swallowing pills for allergy meds which has overall been MUCH easier. He takes 1/2 an adult for his dosage and the pills are so tiny anyway that he has no problem swallowing. Last year he was late for school half of June owing to the protracted negotiations! Squirting stuff up the nose is a whole other issue.